Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Time...

Last night when I went to bed, I asked myself what I had accomplished that day. Where had the time gone? Laundry was washed, but not folded. Dinner was eaten, but dishes left in the sink. Toys were put away, but the floor not vacuumed. How had I managed to burn up an entire day without completing any of the tasks I began? I felt like a failure.

So today, as I sorted through pictures, I looked for proof that my days aren't a waste of time. And this is what I discovered.

As TIME passes:

Little girls fall in love with dogs. (This is Walter.)




































They win coloring contests, which earn them a dining experience with gigantic and terrifying mascots at restaurants.
















Babies sprout teeth, learn to roll over, sit up, and eat solids. They don't care that these new talents break Mommy's heart and make it burst with pride.




































Little girls become big girls who give presentations, watch mesmerized as larvae turn into ladybugs, and practice cartwheels and handstands by the hour.

























These beautiful events don't get written down in an appointment book or appear on any "to do" list. They take place in spite of dirty dishes, unfinished laundry, and sticky floors. And sadly, they happen whether they are witnessed or not. My photos reminded me today that I AM watching. I'm not missing any of it (even if it is 1 pm and I haven't showered yet.)
I'll never win a beauty pageant or a Pulitzer prize. I'll never be an ambassador to a foreign country or run an orphanage in a third world country. I'll never receive an award for the hours I spend every day caring for my sweet kiddos, but their smiles and laughter have to mean I'm doing something right.
So, maybe I've accomplished something important after all......

5 comments:

Lena said...

Well said!!

Jenn said...

You should blog professionally. You would have all of your memories documented and entertain many of us at the same time! I love this entry... sooo sweet!

criseida said...

You are amazing. Your whole family is. It's refreshing to see your point of view and it gives me further proof that it is those moments that matter the most. Walter is super cute!!

Monica said...

Beautifully written!! OMG, look at Milo sitting up so well! I cannot believe how quickly time has gone. It seems like yesterday we were in Ms Debbie's class and I was finding out you were pregnant.

You can see the happiness in your children. They are going to have the most fabulous childhood memories thanks to such wonderful and loving parents!

Rathbun Struzik family said...

Wow. What an incredible blog. What a beautiful life you have. I'm so happy for you.