Sunday, August 17, 2008

3 weeks to go.....

I've begun the serious countdown now. My body is ready to stop being pregnant, but my brain isn't ready to accept the intensity of caring for a newborn. He's so much easier where he is now...
My local friends had a party for me called a Blessing Way or a Mother Blessing. It's a Navajo tradition that honors the mother's journey through pregnancy in preparation for birth. It was amazing (thanks Jenn and Andie!) and made me feel like the most powerful woman on earth. The rituals consisted of energy cleansing, foot bath and massage, decorating my belly with henna for good luck, offering a bead for a labor necklace for me and a bead for a birth bracelet for the baby, and everyone brought a meal to fill my freezer. The women who were here are wearing a string around their wrists at this very moment to remind them to send me positive energy during the remainder of my pregnancy, and they have all agreed to light a candle when I go into labor to continue sending their support until the baby is born. I feel so grateful to be included in such a wonderful circle of women. And for all of my long distance friends....I lit a candle during the party in honor of all of you who continue to send your love and support across the miles. Thanks!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I love this post! The picture is beatiful, I want to see the rest of them! In some odd/sick kind of way, I am kind of envious. It is the roughest time (I can't even begin to imagine multiple kiddos) but also the best. Just remember to call any time you need any thing! My bracelet is getting a little worn, so maybe BC (Baby Craner) is comming soon! Love you!

criseida said...

Tina, you are such a beautiful woman. When you are pregnant, when you are not, inside and out. I just truly look up to you! Love your picture and I am glad you got your Mother Blessing. Even though I am far away, I will light a candle for you. Keep me posted. Thinking of you and the rest of the Craner gang. Love and miss you!!

Keely said...

Ditto to what the girls already said! I can't believe that I won't be able to see BBC right after he is born. I want immediate notification! :)
When you are bringing that baby into the world, for those brief moments, you ARE the world's most powerful woman.

Michael said...

Lovely... FYI, you are the most powerful woman in the world not withstanding rituals, beads, messages or cute round belly. Tell me when you're ready for help and I'll get keely on the first airplane out of Denver!